Thursday, June 2, 2011

You say tomato, I say something different.

It was a monumental night.  The tomatoes are in the ground... I repeat... the tomatoes are in the ground.  I've always wanted to have a big garden (that's what she said) but the reason is because I love tomatoes.  Home grown tomatoes are the best example of how the quality of taste and flavor can sometimes be lost when things are grown on a massive scale, picked too green and shipped across the country to hopefully be eaten at an extremely sub-par condition.  My family has grown tomatoes since I can remember, and this year I hope to supply our family, and a few lucky others, with the joy of eating fresh home grown tomatoes.

My garden is starting to look somewhat like a vegetable prison with everything inside a fence and in cages, but I am super thankful and excited about these tomato cages.  My good buddy Kory Mitchell came through with these for me.  They are big and super awesome.  I plan on using four of them with cucumbers as well.  I was also gifted several circular tomato cages from my good friends Rick and Betsy Todd and my Mom and Dad.  The generosity of friends and family through this process has been amazing.  I hope to repay you in hordes of fresh produce, and Kory... I'm saving the best watermelon in the bunch for you.

Cage Fight - 18 Tomato Plants - 4 varieties

Forward momentum will be lost a little due to spousal excursion, (seems like you could see a doctor for that) but I hope to have the remaining plants/seeds in by the end of next week. Then the waiting and the weeding begins.  Lastly here's the first bloom from the tomatoes that I've seen.  It came from one of the yellow pear tomato plants.

First Tomato Bloom


1 comment: