Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Restless Cukes, Rows of Corn, Sunflowers and a Stud Terrapin

Please excuse the absence.  I've been very flattered by folks asking me what's been going on with the blog and why I hadn't posted anything in 4 days.  It's nice to know some people are looking at this, and the reason for the delay was a short bout with the temperature/sweaty/achy/sore throat virusbacteriainfection.  I have no idea what I had, but it took me out of the garden game for a while.  Enough of this...

Cucumbers.  I have several cucumbers in 4 inch pots that still need to go in the ground. This is WAY overdue, but tonight I think I'm going to finally get them in the earth.  I even have a few with some buds on them, so I hope the transplanting doesn't totally freak them out.

Please give us a home!
The corn is starting to pop out of the ground.  I made a rookie mistake by planting individual seeds in particular spots instead of sowing an entire row and then removing some of them for space purposes after the plants come up.  It's silly, but I always feel bad when I remove the plants that are starting to just come alive for reasons like spacing.  It's like I didn't give them a fair shake or their chance to grow tall and stand in the sun for a summer.  Maybe I won't change what I do... maybe I'll continue to the next topic.

Sweet corn is here to party

Real quick.  If your growing tomatoes you should start some basil.  Tomatoes and basil are something that I could eat everyday, and fresh basil at the store is expensive.  Plus basil is super easy to grow and you can grow it in a planter on the porch or in the garden.

I'm going to put you with some tomatoes and fresh mozzarella... you sexy herb.

I also started some sunflowers in starter pots for fun.  After some reading and some personal experience I would suggest against this because of the nature of these plants. However, I think these are going to work out ok.  I don't know why I'm growing these... I think it's just because they look pretty.

Soon to be 6 foot tall... weird.

Lastly, I saw this super cool guy on the dirt road I live on while driving to work.

STUD TERRAPIN
My Aunt Terry has always used the term "stud terrapin" and I think that I have finally found the stud terrapin of the box turtle world.  This guy's shell was a little over a foot long and nine inches across.  It wasn't a snapper,  just a box turtle... a true stud terrapin.  I marveled at the symmetry of his markings and his super awesome face.  I wonder how old he is?  I should've asked him.

Tomorrow will hopefully bring news of cukes in the ground.  Until then enjoy this song by a Portland Oregon band called The Builders and the Butchers.






2 comments:

  1. "Who are you for asking how old I am?? That offends me severely!! You should never ask a box turtle how old he is!! Ahhhh, I'm just kidding, fucker! I was pulling your chain a bit!! Thirty-two. I'm thirty-two years of age. Thanks for asking. I'm just going to finish crossing the gravel road here. Have a good one, fucker."

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are... ahhh... pretty Tricky Mister T. I should've known it was you.

    ReplyDelete