Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Blooms, Blight and Brethren

Things have really turned a corner for the better in the Tomato department.  All of the "Early Girl" plants and the "Yellow Pears" have blooms on, and the "Black Krim's" have budded but no actual blooms were open this morning.  The "Beefsteak" tomatoes make up the rest of the crop, and they are somewhat behind the rest of these but have doubled in size in a week.  I suspect they will be blooming in two weeks.
All I wanna do is bloom-a-bloom, bloom bloom, in a zoom-zoom...

While the tomatoes are going crazy the corn has decided to be very cantankerous.  You know how corn is... all starchy and independent... stupid corn.  Anyway... only 3 out of 15 plants decided to come up in one of my rows so I decided to start over.  I worked up the soil real good and replanted two of the 5 rows of corn.  I left the plants that have already come up, but still need to fill in some bare spots on the other 3 rows.  It's important to get these close to the same schedule so they will pollinate each other correctly... sounds dirty huh?  I mean you don't want old plants pollinating young plants or vice versa do you... I didn't think so.  Well that kind of behavior will not be stood for in this garden.  You keep your pollen to yourself or at least with some other plant of the appropriate age.  Stop reading, here's a picture:

Hey Ladies....?

One of my favorite things about watering in the morning is listening to this particular mocking bird.  He always comes to hang out by the garden and sing while I'm out there, so it's like seeing a friend now.  I've been unable to get a shot of him because he is so fast, but today I was able to take a terrible picture of him after he followed me back to the porch.

Watermelon and wonder bird.

I'll be taking considerations for names, so if you have a good one feel free to leave a comment on what we should call this guy.  Oh and lastly, my watermelon has had a rough time, and it finally started to come around this weekend.  Good job watermelon... I find that the leaves of a watermelon plant look eerily familiar to the markings on the melons themselves... coincidence... I think not.

If you want to listen to something cool check out the Avett Brothers... wow... just wow.



4 comments:

  1. How about Scout? A nod to the literary world of Mockingbirds. Or maybe Atticus?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second scout. Corn is extremely cantankerous but once it gets a foot up it just grows and grows and grows and gets all beautiful, are you using Heirloom? And watch out, I don't know if you have raccoons there but I had gorgeous corn it was literally like 8 feet tall and out of a 30 x 30ft plot with 5 rows of 10 stalks I only saved about 40 ears of the whole crop, the raccoons got the rest. And you know the worst part? They eat it and then leave it on the ground for you, scandalous. Good job on the Watermelon, be careful when you harvest, any time the vines and leaves are touched they react, they're extremely sensitive to external influence that's why I usually grow the melons on a hill or incline so instead of rotating them, they naturally turn as they get bigger.

    ReplyDelete